Thanks Giving List

I have been always thankful for the things I have but its always at a very general point of view, so today after talking to a colleague a thought crossed my mind to put this list together of the things I am thankful for. This is going to grow and I am sure will never fill since I have so much to be grateful for.

1. Health  
I am 44 years old, all my faculties are pretty fine, I hear well, I see well, I am fully healthy I can walk I can run I can use pretty much of all the parts of my body after all these 40+ years.

2. Love
I am talking of being loved and loving back and I have had this experience in all its forms, in the naive thinking of love solves all heals all and all the shenanigans, in the intelligent and calculated form of give and take and in the understanding of maturity that it is ok not to have it.

3. Family
My children are my joy and happiness and I already forgot how to live without them, my mama is my pillar and strength and my brother and sister add to the equation, I have nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles cousins relatives and friends who have become family. We are just one continuous heartbeat I couldn't have it any other way.

4. Friends
Oh, I have the best friends and for all seasons. I have them in all categories and from all my interactions, some that have become closer than family, some that no matter how far or how long we stay apart we are conjoined.  Some from old times some new yet all so refreshing in my basket of life.

5. Acquaintances
I have met people and we clicked at work on the streets in the market and they are great some have graduated to number 4 but most have remained here to serve just this list.

6.Experience
From a little baby in Kisumu, a little girl in Endebess, Kitale the youth in Nakuru, young adult  Nairobi a mother in Kajiodo, working in Wamba, Dadaab Afghanistan Sudan and now Yemen, I have gathered quite an experience, my life is a story unfolding. This journey has given me an opportunity to collect so much, the good, the bad the ugly but more so the lessons.

7.Reading
As early as six I would go to the Library in Kisumu and read, reading is that one thing that has kept me going including reading to pass exams so I could get a job and not be a farmer that's funny coz now that's what I want to do. I have read the newspaper wrapping of meat from the butchery, the blub of someone else's book in a matatu,  program reports, and all that shit. I have read on library seats and on my couch, on the floor of the airport, in the toilet and on the hospital bed. Read bedtime stories and compositions in bad handwriting. I have read of heroes and fame biographies and romance but most importantly I have experienced myself travel in those pages.

8. Travel
When I was little I would look at all the power poles moving as we traveled and I wanted to go to the places the poles went. Travel has been an adventure and therapy for me, I love to add to the experience but I mostly want to know where the poles go. I like that my children love to travel too.

9. Wealth
They say count your blessings name them one by one, that's why we have number 9 here. You may wonder what wealth are we talking about but from research I am rich. I have a roof over my head, food on the table, clean clothes on my back, I drink clean water live in a safe environment and have a toilet, I am in the 25% percentile of the work and so I thank God for this.

10. God
Above all things I have God, if I didn't have any of the above and still had God I would still be Ok however, whatever I have without God it is nothing. All I have in the absence of God is vanity. I thank God for the kind of relationship He allows me to have with Him that of a Father who is also a friend. It is from Him that I have 1-9 and it can all go in a whim so I will give thanks where it is due, to you Jehova.

Ahsante Baba





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the mind plays hide and seak-a dedication

New Year New Beginnings Happy Birthday to me